Friday, November 18, 2011

A Day

Lately I have had reason to spend a lot of time in downtown LA. That neighborhood, like most in the metro area, is a mixed bag. As it happens, I have found myself in one of the nicer sections of it, and I have relished the opportunity to avail myself of its eateries and cultural highlights (although I have missed more than I have managed to get to). On the whole I have become more acquainted with the erstwhile city center in a positive way.

The timing of my gravitation towards the area coincides with that phenomenon common to a number of the nation's most prominent cities, 'Occupy Wall Street'. I think they must tailor the name to the actual place of the protests in question, or else the title is a misnomer in more cases than it is an apt name. In any case, I have had occasion to see things that I would otherwise not have made the trip downtown to see. It's been quite an experience.

I have often admired City Hall, which goes back a long way and which was the tallest building in the city for many years. Has it ever before hosted a cluster of tents and sign-toting idealists before as it does now? I can't say, though I can say that without regard to who may be right in this quarrel, the shantytown does little to improve the aesthetics of the place. It does imbue it with a novel quality, but one which I'm sure will pass rapidly if it has not already.

The tents and signs have been around for a little while, but new as far as I know has been the marching. I was indoors and unable to witness it yesterday, able only to see choppers and hear of inordinate police presence in the area. I couldn't help but feel like one of Prince Prospero's guests in 'Masque Of The Red Death'. I don't habitually wear a suit or affect any professional airs, but the nature of my business downtown has required these things, and I wonder whose side in this squabble I might appear to be on.

Consequently I was somewhat on edge as I made my way home yesterday. Were I someone else looking at me under ordinary circumstances, I would say I looked rather intense and vigilant while walking around, but on this occasion I may have exceeded that tone a bit. I feared real civil disorder might sweep me up, even if it were only on a modest scale. As it was, I had evidently missed the peak of the tempest and need not have worried, but it was quite a thing. I just won't have a terribly compelling story for my grandchildren (if anyone cares by then).

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?