Sunday, November 27, 2011

Frequent Flyer

There I was, sitting in my seat on the plane back home for Thanksgiving. I had no hope of having the row to myself, but I always am optimistic that the middle seat might remain empty. This is lessened somewhat during the holidays, but it's still there. I never do have much hope that the person I'll be sitting by will be somebody I really want to know. It might be, but I never imagine it to be possible that it might be a girl I'd like to be with.

On this occasion, it was not to be an attractive girl, but it was a passably interesting man of advanced years. I didn't talk to him until the brief flight was nearly over. I had observed a peculiar magazine he was reading. At first, I thought it could be Soldier Of Fortune or some military magazine. It seemed to pertain to the Air Force or maybe Navy flying. My curiosity built, though I had a fine book to read myself. At long last, I had to inquire.

I found from asking that it was a magazine devoted entirely to plane landings. Each article addressed some remarkable incident or element of the landing process. Once the man was granted license to talk about it to a willing party, he just wouldn't stop. I was interested, luckily, but found few opportunities to contribute words of my own. Anyway, it was an interesting experience, and he was kind enough to let me have the magazine. I swear I'll read it.

I was in no hurry to do so, thinking I would never have to report to him on it. I knew he lived in the LA area, but I didn't think I'd see him again. Little did I know that he and I had the same return flight as well. I laid eyes on him as I maneuvered into position before boarding the flight. My worst fear would be that I would wind up sitting next to him again. There could be no hope of avoiding conversation in that case. As it was, I sat next to some manner of religious guy with a cute girl in between. I don't know where the other guy wound up, and for all I know he never saw me. Perhaps though, he did see me and felt even more strongly about avoiding conversation. I could believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?