Thursday, November 3, 2011

Some Neighbors

I've written about the neighbors in my building who are also my friends, but never to my knowledge have I written of the rest, inside and outside of the building. Inside the building there are some who I've begun to see enough times that I know whether or not to be glad that I've encountered them. There are one or two that I like, one or two that I fear, and a vast middle towards which I am indifferent. I'm open to liking or disliking those, but would just as soon not get into any particulars with any of them at present, although I reserve the right to in future.

I'm less hesitant at the moment to say unkind things about those in neighboring buildings. Directly behind my building is a church. I have nothing against them in principle, but there are a couple of points which I don't care for. They keep their wireless internet secured, which I believe is un-Christian. Very Christian is their laissez-faire attitude about the raccoons living on their grounds, but also it is unsanitary and unsafe. Lastly, I could stand quieter Sunday services. Otherwise they are fine neighbors.

Next door to the church is what a friend calls a trailer park. It refers not to the dwellings but to their occupants, who are at their best when unseen and unheard. When making themselves known, they are as loud and fractious as can be. I am of two minds about this, as I honestly am about the raccoons (but not the church music). It is free entertainment, and so I support it as long as I can shut it out or let it in as desired.

Those are the only regular neighbors about whom I can say much. There is a vagrant who is often around. The sound of his cart is known to many if not most on this street. What his business is I cannot say, although I have known his contemporaries to go through the recycling to find the choicest items. I think he may do that, although he has to get into a locked parking garage. That is no difficult feat, I gather. This service being a rather positive contribution, I would have to concede that he is the best of the neighbors here mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?