Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sound Check

A couple of days ago, I was advised of a remarkable concert to transpire here in my neighborhood. This concert was to feature a singular newly-formed group made of musicians who each were part of several highly regarded bands. Among the connections were The Clash, Eurythmics, The Sex Pistols and Blondie. Given that the show was more or less free and that this was a one-of-a-kind opportunity, I felt I had to go.

There was some fear that the show would be too crowded for me to get in, though a friend was taking pictures for the event. As it happened, I need not have worried (as is most often the case), for I was able to get in easily. I was able to take in the last act before the aforementioned supergroup, and it was not too bad. Notably, it was not uncommonly loud. I don't happen to be crazy about exceptionally loud music, though my roommates and neighbors might disagree. I know my limits.


That supergroup came on, and it was really something. They played a number of songs I know, including some well-loved favorites. Even some of the others, of little note to me prior, came alive under the ministrations of the band. It was a hell of a show, the moshing by men old enough to be more mature aside. Anyway, it would seem foolish to complain about unruliness at a concert advertising punk, glam and new wave music.

Also I suppose there's no sense in acting surprised at how loud the main event proved to be. I can only think of one or two times in my whole life that I was subjected to noise so severe. The venue was small and the output of volume large. I thought nothing of it while I was there, but the moment I left the club and walked out into the still night air, I realized that my ears were still ringing as if vibrations continued to pummel them.

After about an hour or so, they returned to normal, although I suppose there's some small amount of permanent damage. I figure that a person is bound to degrade physically in life one way or another though, so it was a good thing that it happened to be something fun in this case. I'm glad to have something interesting to share with my grandchildren, but it's also good thing this is no ingrained habit of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?