Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End Of A Year, Uh...

I seldom address holidays and special dates as they come. I'm more likely to ruminate on Christmas in May than December. Still, I couldn't help but notice as I sat down to write that this would be going out on the final day of the year. It's only natural at that time to take stock of what's passed and look ahead to the future (and, we hope, to better days). This is true even for those of us not given to half-hearted, last-minute crusades of self-improvement.

Strictly within the confines of this blog, I can say that I am at least partly content. I managed to write 365 posts, which constitutes a new personal best (up from last year's 322). I got something out every single day, rain or shine (and there was some rain). I can't say that I loved everything I wrote, too often turning out something half-baked or unoriginal for lack of time or energy. Still, I fulfilled my goal of disciplining myself into writing regularly, which I believe has paid off in other writing endeavors.

What has not paid off as yet is this blog. I feel I have improved considerably as a writer, but have made no headway as a promoter, as a seller of my own wares. There is that hardy but small number that is my readership, but they grown painfully slowly and are not near as vocal nor as effusive in praise of me as I would like, insecure and poor in self-esteem as I am. Be that as it may, I love my readers dearly (as I ought to, given how many are blood relatives).

Lest this sound like a swan song, allow me to allay any fears. I soldier on into the new year, braving all privations and hardships (such as the one which is to come on the 9th of this month). I eagerly anticipate more lucrative employment of my intellect than this blog affords, but I am certain than there will be no platform more securely within my dominion than this one, and there is great value in trading monetary return for control somewhere in one's life in order to ensure happiness.

Tomorrow: 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?