Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Overthinker

Lately I've been home visiting my family, and I noticed something that I found very interesting (although not so interesting that it couldn't wait until I was really hard up for an idea). It's a salt shaker. Obviously it goes beyond that, or I wouldn't find it so interesting. For starters, the salt is pink. I guess that makes it stylish or something. The grinder's label claims that it is naturally pink, and I can't really argue that, as much as I'd like to.

Its place of origin is what really interests me. Its label claims that it's both a product  from the Himalayas. Considering that I couldn't immediately recall the location of those mountains, I hardly could question whether salt is drawn from them in any significant quantities. I did enough research to assure myself that the mountain range does pass within Pakistan's borders, but not enough to establish the nation's salt industry.

Not quashed by any amount of study, I would imagine, is my surprise at one thing. The label further states that while a product of Pakistan, the salt was packed in South Africa. I guess that I don't know much about the salt business, but just why would you take loose salt nearly five thousand miles to pack it into the little containers? I suppose that Pakistan may lack something in the area of infrastructure or stability (although I don't know that), but what could they want for that South Africa has?

Something the label makes no mention of is iodide. It says only that the contents are pink salt crystals. That I can see for myself, but what I'd like to know is whether this salt will protect me from a whole host of illnesses and nutritional deficiencies. Maybe so, but I won't take the chance. I'll go with the boring white salt from Morton. I don't have to question the label, and I know I'll be well-protected by its known inclusion of iodide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?