Sunday, December 25, 2011

Time Travelers All

I find it somewhat difficult to manage the time. It's not being places on time that's generally the issue, although I invariably find that I must rush out of the house at the last minute to do so. Really what it is that provides some difficulty is knowing just what time it is. Maybe that sounds like a rather anachronistic problem, given that most clocks now are part of a global system. What is left behind except for your older microwaves and toasters?

My wristwatch does need to be kept up, any every time it falls behind I must re-teach myself its operation without a manual. Presently it's three minutes behind, and if I can remember that then it hardly needs fixing. It does take a moment to bring it to mind, however. The case is the same with my standard alarm clock, except that it's considerably more reliable in keeping the time. Still, there is one thing that it needs.

I do have a difficult time with the time zones. It is not easy for someone with a college education to admit such a thing. Perhaps there is some mitigation in the fact that I was born in Arizona, which does not recognize daylight savings (although at least one Native American reservation that I know of does). It complicates things that I am only now changing along with the rest of the country when we are directed to spring forward and fall back.

I guess it's not a matter that genuinely impacts my life, but it still is something that puzzles me a little bit. I have to think very hard about whether the arrival time for a flight is in the time of the origin or the destination city, though I appreciate how silly it would be to state the arrival time in terms of where someone has been. One of the nice things about being human, anyway, is the capacity to grow and change. I dream of someday keeping the time reliably without worry or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?