Monday, February 27, 2012

Divots

I've never done any real golfing. I've done some mini-golfing (which is sometimes enjoyable but which can bring you to the point of tears as a child, I found). I lived around the corner from a golf course for years, but never did more than sneak onto the nearest green to sink some putts. What I'm getting to is that I never had the experience of creating a divot- that tear in the turf made by a vigorous attack on the form of the ball. They say you're supposed to fix it up before you go, though I don't see how that's a lasting repair.

I think of those divots whenever I find myself moving furniture about the home. This is not often. It's a hell of a think to see what has become of the space you forgot once it disappeared under a chair. Even if you're diligent enough to ensure that nothing important goes there and remains there, some rather interesting stuff can be seen, not the least of which is the depression made in the carpet by the legs of the furniture in question.

This is an alarming observation, which is partly why I am reluctant to move things. I also prefer not to exert myself or to imperil our security deposit, but those things are not the subject of this post. It's those divots. I typically want them to go away right away, sometimes losing my head and trying to raise up the compressed area of carpet. Luckily enough, I recover my composure before my well-intended efforts ruin the very carpet I mean to save.

Honestly, I don't like carpet. It feels nice enough, I guess, but is all too much effort to maintain. It's like a white elephant, especially if it is actually white. You know about white elephants, I hope. I don't mean the Christmas gift-giving system. There are places in this world, I gather, where nothing is more revered and precious than the white (presumably albino) elephant. They have to be looked after and kept in good condition at all costs. For a village to receive one is a great honor, but often a ruinous burden. Carpets are like that to me. One need not contend with furniture divots in a home with hardwood floors.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I prefer wood flooring, tile, or smooth concrete. Less allergies too!

Beverly said...

I prefer wood flooring, tile, or smooth concrete. Less allergies too!

Beverly said...

I prefer wood flooring, tile, or smooth concrete. Less allergies too!

Beverly said...

I prefer wood flooring, tile, or smooth concrete. Less allergies too!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?