Monday, March 26, 2012

The Conspiracy

I don't take naps during the day too often. It's not so much that I wouldn't like to. I get plenty tired by mid-day on most days, but somehow it doesn't seem to work out. There's always something I want to do, or there's something i have to do. Considering how difficult sleep is at night, it's no easy feat to accomplish it twice in one day. As I think I've made clear, it's not easy even to find the opportunity, let alone to get it done.

I need a pretty big window of time for a nap. I need several hours for a nap that might take one. I need to know that the nap can stretch out for a while in order to relax enough to make it happen, and that's just not realistic often. I also need total security and privacy. The other day, I was looking to take a nap. I'd had an early morning following a late night, and I anticipated another late night to come. It was a rare case of being smart and hoping to plan ahead.

It was almost not to be. Twice I got to the brink. It's hard for me, but I got to the point where I was moments from sleep. I could feel it about to happen. There I was, feeling the embrace of oblivion. What should happen except that I get a phone call? This led to a friend visiting for a couple of minutes. That was all it took to stake off the nap for a while. It was devastating, as you can well imagine. I persevered, of course.

I was about there again, and I thought this would really be it. This time, I was thwarted by a different friend who infuriated me by not perceiving from afar what I was trying to do. I tried to ignore him, be saw at last that I would have to address the matter that had him communicating me. It pertained to the season premiere of "Mad Men", so you can imagine why it was serious. That done, I started trying again. At long last, the nap happened, and it was all the sweeter for its elusiveness.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Awesome! Sleep is so difficult to accomplish! I'm glad it worked for you!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?