Monday, March 12, 2012

Cool Street

I've lived in lousy neighborhoods out in Los Angeles, and I've lived in ones that were allegedly up-and-coming. If those latter districts were truly on the rise, then either I didn't see it from my vantage point or I couldn't see the forest for the trees, as they say. It's more likely to be the latter. In any case, I now can say I'm in a neighborhood that really is transitioning into a thriving area before my eyes. This probably means I will be priced out before long unless I grow with it.

The main street that runs north and south has plenty of new and established spots, but it's the nearest major east and west thoroughfare that's really exciting these days. It has long been distinguished by a number of small theaters, but was until recently also marred by some lesser lights that are now gone. Enduring along with the theaters are a thrift store, some character-laded restaurants, and a marijuana dispensary about which I cannot speak with authority.

New to the street are a smattering of different businesses. Replacing the lightly-patronized pool hall is a cool new bar with darts, shuffle board and, of course, pool. It joins the new place offering pie (and presumably other items that include but are not limited to coffee), and the purportedly-hip coffee place which looks to replace the old rainforest-themed restaurant. I don't doubt that there will be even more new entries along that road before long.

It's all enough to make my heart swell with pride when I walk by. There is little that I want which cannot be supplied within walking distance, and the place where I dwell need not merely be tolerated as was once true. Perhaps someday we will look back at this place and this moment as something like the heyday of Laurel Canyon or some other place where the luminaries were before they were somebody. It certainly feels like fertile ground for some big names, and I would not be sorry for mine to be among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?