Sunday, April 15, 2012

Clean Getaway

A rare thing happened yesterday. It wasn't that I spent the whole day among friends, although that's not incredibly common. It wasn't even that I was at a baby shower (for the menfolk), although it was a first for me. No, the specific rare thing that I had happen was that I went about a whole day out of the house without showering. I know that's slovenly and unappealing to me, but rest assured that it was not by design.

The thing is that I had meant to get up a good couple hours before I needed to be out of the house. That is typical for me. I have the chance to shower and get ready at a relaxed pace, eating breakfast and getting my hair entirely dry before I even think about heading out. Well, for the second time in recent memory, I somehow slept through my alarm. I don't know how it happened. I had to have turned it off, and this after waking up a couple hours early and using the restroom.

Naturally, waking up with the realization that I had just twenty scant minutes to get ready and head out was not pleasant. I gave a few moments though to rushing my way through a shower in that time, but discarded the idea. I also thought about taking all the time I needed, and being late to the lunch I was bound for. That was maybe the rational thing to do, but I'm not given to rational acts even at the best of times.

No, I dressed in clean clothes, put in my contacts and wet my hair enough to get it into some semblance of order. I made sure I had on my my usual accessories (book included), and went out to catch the bus. So began an entire day of activities just stimulating enough to make me forget the feeling of being so harried and unclean. In truth, it was somewhat disconcerting to see what little difference it seemed to make with others, who gave no indication of noticing. Maybe that would come with a few more days of not showering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?