Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Readings

I've been having a little difficulty lately with my reading. Perhaps it can be attributed to the sharply increased rate at which I've been watching movies. After all, I only have twenty-four hours in a day, just like anybody else. I eat, I sleep, I socialize and sometimes I work. The more movies I watch, the less I'm going to read, although public transit time is always going to be open to reading and never to movies.

It's been a while since I finished off a book in short order. Our local library allows you to check out a book for three periods of three weeks each, and I in the past had been able to complete them within the first three weeks fairly regularly. Maybe I was then reading different material. I do zip through easy material pretty well, but I've been on a somewhat planned campaign to eliminate gaps in my reading of the classics.

A couple of months ago, I went back to Henry Miller, and have found it slow going as a result of his rather inaccessible style. He'll have fits of lucidity, and then long digressions into philosophy. At any rate, it's been a bit of a slog. I do all right when I'm dedicated, but I've found it tough to carve out the time. Even on the bus, I've been getting work done instead of reading, or else I've left the book behind to avoid encumbrances.

The thing I'd like to do is to actually do what I've meant to in the past, which is to read before bed. This could even help my difficulties sleeping, as I understand that glowing electronic screens are bad for leading you into sleep. Reading is much better, or so they say. I certainly like the idea of that better than some kind of herbal tea that I won't actually enjoy the taste of. It's better to drift off to slumber with bourbon and "Tropic Of Capricorn".

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?