Friday, April 6, 2012

Smallest Sphere Of Influence

My room has lately undergone something of a transformation. I'm hesitant to say that it will be anything like permanent, because that is a place that perfectly exemplifies the principle of entropy as I understand it (which is not really well, I'm sure). Let's say that my room starts neat and clean. It'll stay that way for a few days, with the breakdown starting slowly. Inevitably, some kind of freak out will leave boxes and papers everywhere. I'll live with that for a period of time probably in months. The process is completed by a bookending freak out of cleaning.

Well, I had that second conniption the other day, and we'll just see how long I can hold it together. Something that encourages me is another development. I recently have acquired a string of small furniture items. A number of weeks ago I bought a chair from an attractive lady neighbor. It's really icing on the cake that the chair, weird-looking as it is, has been of value. It's rough around the edges, has a slender back and stands on three legs. I like it.

I have been coupling that with another new thing. A friend moved away recently, leaving behind a nice little computer desk on wheels. I had one for my desktop computer, but was glad to have one for the laptop as well. I had put the chair and the desk in the living room, but have re-deployed them in my bedroom in anticipation of some proper living room furniture. Completing the revival in my bedroom is a table abandoned by someone here in the building.

With all of that, the room is beginning to take on the shape that I envisioned when I moved in something like a year and a half ago. What can I say? I work slowly. In any event, I've got this nice little home office setup in one corner, with a private tv viewing setup for the times when the living room is in any respect inhospitable. I expect a real burst of productivity and fun times, but hope that won't be accompanied by any shrinking away from the outside world. I've made some bold steps out there with the incentive of getting out of my horrid bedroom, and would hate to slide back on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?