Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fashion Choice

I was at a somewhat upscale restaurant the other day, and you will recall that I am somewhat ill at ease in such surroundings. I don't know sometimes what to make of the people that are to be found there. I get your basic classy dining attire, and can put on a suit as needed, but I don't get some of what people do. There was this man who was doing something that you see from time to time, but which makes no real sense.

He walked in to join some people already seated, and I noticed that he had a sweater draped over his shoulders so that his back was warmed and the weight of the sleeves held it fast to his body. I have never understood this practice. Is he really cold in such localized areas on his body? Such a specific pattern of coldness would signify to me that he must be ill somehow, because usually your whole body gets cold.

Whatever it was, I just kept fixating on the guy. I kept thinking that if he was cold he should just put the sweater on. If he wasn't cold, he should have left it at home or put it on his seat. It looks rather stupid to try and split the difference like that. Truth be told, it left me rather remote from the conversation at my own table, although it doesn't take much to make my attention wander and it does so frequently at the best of times.

I suppose the man must have been making a deliberate fashion choice. I'd rather think that he was in shock or something, but he must have thought that what he was doing looked good. It's strange to me how people will do things like roll up the sleeves on their short as a fashion thing, or have a shirt that only looks like it has another shirt underneath but is really a fraud. I wish I could talk some sense into this guy, or just catch him in the restroom so that I could run off with his sweater to the garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?