Sunday, May 20, 2012

Giving Weekend

On Friday, I was shooting a short film (or a video sketch, depending things that I couldn't explain. Even more inexplicable is the premise and my role in it. Without spoiling the plot, I play a man in a chicken suit who is a wine aficionado and a smoker, to say nothing of his romantic proclivities. It took a few hours of my afternoon, and for a while I thought I'd have to go into the evening with it as well. I didn't but I thought I did long enough to make the next morning difficult.

This was when I had to be at a Toastmasters contest which was being held kind of far away and definitely very early. I didn't have to do that much, but I had to do it for ten hours. There was a meal accompanied by snacks and some beverages, along with entertaining speeches. The thing was more the logistical burden on me, but I dealt with it and then moved on to my next event. It proved to be much more arduous than what preceded it.

A friend had asked me to participate in a cancer fundraiser where teams are formed to walk or run for 24 straight hours, with people switching off. Regrettably, the Toastmasters thing meant I was late for the fundraiser, but I got there in time to be of some use. I was there for the rest of the day and all night long.This turned out to be more than enough of a workout for me. The camaraderie kept me going much of the time.

I had gotten to bed on Friday around 11 or 12 pm. I woke up 4:45 Saturday morning. I finished the Toastmasters thing around 5, getting to the fundraiser around 6:30 and finished at 9 of the following morning. By that time, I was battered and dead tired. I don't know if I started off with less gas than the rest, but I think I must have been in worse shape than the rest when we finished. I imposed as much on myself as anyone there did. I hope the recipients of my labors really got something out of it. Today is just for me.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Relax and take time for yourself now.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?