Tuesday, May 22, 2012

On The Range

It's pretty incredible what a difference in quality there is between products that are separated by relatively little in terms of cost. I've been thinking of the various canned chilis available at the grocery store. To me, the gold standard is and has always been Stagg. Fittingly, it's the most expensive, and presently is to be had for something like 2.50. From there, the drop in quality runs down along with the drop in price all the way.

After Stagg, I would say that the next best possibility is probably Hormel. That is something like seventy cents less, and you notice the difference. It's not bad, but it couldn't be mistaken for chili from a restaurant by any stretch of the imagination, and I think you just might get convinced that Stagg is that. The savings might make up for the difference in quality, so I can't fault anyone for making that choice. I do it myself, and rarely buy Stagg.

After Hormel, I would go for the store brand. It's not terrible, although it has some tell-tale signs of low quality. It slides out of the can in a solid tube-shaped chunk, which is not good. It's still not a terrible option, particularly if one goes for their extra hot variety. Spice is always a good idea when one is looking to conceal a lesser degree of quality. No, the store brand is none too bad. I'll eat it every time, and gladly pay the dollar and a half.

What I would not recommend is the absolute cheapest chili. I have found that at something like 1.29. It's not good. It doesn't slide out of the can at all, probably because it's rather dry. It's also not incredibly flavorful, and it has a not very good ratio of meat to beans. It's passible when one is cutting it with rice as I am given to do, but faced straight on it is not going to make for a very pleasant meal. Do yourself a favor and spend at least thirty cents more. It's rare that so little elevates you to something so much better.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Very interesting! I always like that crazy mixed up Hormel gang! They looked like a bunch of hillbillies but seem to have good priorities. Very philatranthic.
For chili you can make a ice clean batch that yields many servings with a can of tomato sauce a can of canned tomatoes an onion a green pepper a pound of ground beef or turkey and a packet of chili seasoning. Put them in a large pot and simmer a few hours and get the equivalent of at least 10 cans. It doesn't have fillers or the yucky transfats

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?