Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Song Bird, Wrong Bird

I like singing. I may not be much good at it (or at least no one could deny that I lack polish), but that doesn't temper my enthusiasm. I have found, though, that enthusiasm tends to get me in trouble. I realize often only after the fact that I can't manage songs such as those by Hall & Oates (and recently, Cher). That's all right, though. The key is that you have fun. I have the most fun when I do well, or when there's no one around to judge.

I try to pick things I'll do well at karaoke, but when I'm around the house anything goes. I was just thinking about the little things I'll sing when I'm washing dishes or getting reading in the morning. It'll be one of those soft, breathy numbers in the style of Diana Krall or some such singer. When I hit upon one like that, it'll enter my repertoire of songs meant for no one but myself (and a lady, perhaps). A good example is "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" by the Shirelles.

Maybe I'm no good at doing those songs either, but like I said, there's no one there to say so. I would judge myself really harshly, but I can fool myself very well when there's water rushing out of the sink faucet drowning out my own voice, or when my voice is as low as a murmur. That seems to be the right thing for the kitchen, for whatever reason. The shower demands that I belt it out, especially since I tend to have the classic rock station on there, but in my head there's always some sultry jazz standard or Motown love song.

I do wish I could do that stuff at karaoke, but the mood seldom seems to be right for a slow number. I'm not one to shift the tone of the room as some people could do. Anyway, I always like best the kind of creative expression that inspires a vocal reaction. An uptempo song will have people telling you how they like it, but I feel like the more subtle songs would have people enjoying it in their head. That's not worth much to my self-esteem in the moment, and I'd be lucky indeed even to be told later. Sorry, but I've got to have it right away. It's best maybe that those songs stay in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?