Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sunrise En Route

I am always eager to improve myself, although that does not always manifest itself as genuine effort. It's often mere aspiration more than anything, and one way in which that is true is how I deal with mornings. I admire those who are up bright and early. I can manage it from time to time, but not with a tremendous amount of enthusiasm. I suspect that I may find it easier to do mornings when late night opportunities begin to dry up.

That's the thing: I can't get myself to curtail the late night when the early morning comes, and so I either burn the candle at both ends or neither. It seems indecent to get to bed before 10pm, and yet that is what I found myself faced with the other day. There's something very wrong about heading out for the day not just before it's light out but before the newspaperman has hit the block (a daily occurrence which used to mean something).

For me the morning is all the more difficult for the fact that I depend on public transportation. This tends to make every commute at least a little bit longer and sometimes a lot longer. The result is that I, the person perhaps least equipped to do early mornings must do it better than the rest in order to look at least as good. Of course, there is the fact that I can relax or even approach sleep while en route- a luxury not generally available to those who drive.

I know that with routine one builds habit, and with habit most things become easier. Many of my complaints would be addressed if I were doing this every day, and I want to, but there's only so much that can reasonably be asked of me. I can imagine a day regularly starting at something like 7, but 4:50 in the morning? I want no part of civilized society if it's going to impose that on me. Look for me in my cave around 10 or 11 if you want me.

3 comments:

Frenchie said...

Amen!

Beverly said...

There are morning people and then the rest of us.

Beverly said...

There are morning people and then the rest of us.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?