Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Green

I seem to recall there being a good number of citrus trees in many neighborhoods of Phoenix. I guess conditions there are pretty tolerable for oranges and such, although I don't recall that those I ate from trees in residential areas were too tasty. There must have been something wrong with them, or with the soil. Something was no good. It might have been the strain of oranges. If that's it, they ought to eradicate it from the planet.

I remember prickly pear cactus fruit being a lot better. Naturally, some kind of fungus eventually began to attack it just as soon as it was ripe, which is just what you would expect to happen to good things like that back home. Before that started happening, we had some really nice preserves that could be made from something growing in the yard. Nothing else was fruitful around there, although in the neighborhood we'd come from somebody had bananas growing.

Up in northern Arizona I recall better things. I recall such things as raspberries, strawberries and grapes.  There might have been wild mushrooms, but one has to know his limits in successfully identifying what is safe and what is not. One had to work awfully hard to get them, but the effort added enough to their actual merits to make them worth considerably more in my memory to most of what we had in the dining hall.

Out here in Los Angeles, I don't think there is anything that I would trust eating. I should say that is true of the districts with which I am personally familiar. There may be area more apt to have edible stuff, especially if one ventures very far afield. One of those community garden arrangements could be fun, and we have a couple vacant lots on this street alone that would suffice. I'm not much for flowers, but I do think I would enjoy growing such things as peppers and tomatoes. I would have to give away the tomatoes.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Interesting observations!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?