Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Not Too Soon, But Too Many

I used to faithfully report to my father the deaths of famous people which were reported in the newspaper every day. I would invariably be scandalized by what seemed like a callous response of "Don't know him" when I would ask why he didn't care more. I have fallen in line with his viewpoint, as I suppose anyone ought to have expected that I would. It turns out though that I am something of an exception, because most people still think like I did then.

Enough people are famous these days that there are going to be a handful of notable deaths (although I suppose the more there are the less notable each is) every day. Over the course of a week or two, there are going to be a handful that really are significant, at least within the context of celebrity deaths. I see that many people are content to devote a good amount of time to mourning these people, and I just don't get it anymore.

People enjoy things that I never would have guessed. Some people just can't get enough of being outraged, and they find things that will fit the bill. Other people seem to really be into mourning death, and God just doesn't oblige by killing enough friends and loved ones. What is one to do except mourn stars, aiming for A-listers but settling for less depending on availability? I guess you could devote yourself to living life firsthand instead of death vicariously.

It all seems very hypocritical, as well. There will always be a sudden buildup of interest in the dead that was not there for years beforehand, and in many cases I have to imagine that such enthusiasm might well have forestalled their demise. We will always wash away their misdeeds as well, except for those of us who choose to honor the dead by defaming them immediately. I don't get that part of it any better. I'm inclined to show some respect for the dead whoever they are, but mainly to save room in my heart and my life for friends and loved ones. It's just not big enough for everyone who ever had a show or a movie or a book.

4 comments:

Beverly said...

Good thought

Beverly said...

Good thought

Frenchie said...

The thing I remain curious about is why he still reads the obits every day if he feels so cavalier about it.

Frenchie said...

Hi Bev, what is your take on obits.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?