Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sized To Please

As I've said, I appreciate a good spectacle. There was that band that made a lot of noise and knocked things over, and I liked that. I won't put style over substance, but I will put that over substance sometimes. Where there's something big or loud or dangerous, I'm going to want that. I can hardly be alone in that. Who doesn't want the sizzling platter to sizzle on someone, or the warning about the hot plate to be ignored?

There's a surprising amount of spectacle in food, those potential accidents aside. Some places make a show of the preparation, and some places offer ridiculous things that no one will order simply for the attention it draws. There are, of course, spectacular things that are for ordering. A good example would be the exceptionally large pizzas at a local chain. I assume that people mostly order the regularly-sized ones, but then there are their other sizes.

I forget just how big the one we had from there at a recent party was. It covered most of the table, I think, and it was no coffee table. I had always wanted to have one, and not to eat it. I really more wanted to see the thing, and that was good, because I've had better pizza. I've just never had so much in one box. I'd say it's the pizza you have to get if you want to impress someone, but that might be a misguided attempt at it.

I don't mean to knock the pizza, because it was of serviceable quality and absolutely lived up to its billing, unlike a six foot party sub I can think of. The thing was just several smaller sub sandwhiches packaged together as one, and I was very let down by that. The point of it was to have a single sub six feet long, and the effect was not duplicated by an equal length of sandwich all broken up. It was a real disappointment, unlike this pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?