Sunday, June 24, 2012

Smart Play

The time during which I had the least enthusiasm for playing a musical instrument was the time when I had the best opportunities for beginning to learn. This is rather regrettable. I briefly studied the drums, but found no pleasure in the very tedious process of practicing on a pad, with no hopes of leaping ahead to actual music or actual drums any time soon. It was in such a way that my karate career also met an early end, but I have no interest just now in memorializing that. Perhaps it will come later.

I wish dearly now that I had applied myself then, but I suppose that qualities like discipline are not ones that can be summoned with a bell. If I had really gotten on the ball and learned an instrument, I'd have an easier time writing songs, which I do from time to time when no other form of writing seems equal to the task of capturing an idea I have. Some things are right for this sort of writing I'm doing now, some are for scripts, some are for poems, and some have to have music behind them.

I admire those who can write the music, but am told that those who can write the music often admire those who can write the lyrics, which seem to me like the easy part. I guess that's just my own perspective on it. At a party recently, a rather talented lady of my acquaintance mentioned a song she was working on, and the idea of it was rather intriguing. I offered such suggestions as I could, but I will not venture to say how the music ought to go. She is unquestionably my better in that area, to say nothing of others.

I do feel more motivated than ever to learn something. The ukulele is reputed to have a not overly-difficult learning curve. I admire the banjo, and of course there's the classic choice of the guitar. I do not believe I will  take up the recorder again, although I recall success with it. I suppose one could not help to succeed with such an instrument, which offers little leeway for its player to alter its sound. No, I'd better go with one of the above string instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?