Monday, June 4, 2012

Tired Eyes

I'm tired a lot of the time. This is a product of several contributing factors. I sleep less than I ought to, and that of course is due to all the obligations happening in the morning and all the pleasurable recreation happening in the late evening. There also just happen to be a lot of activities that fall into one of those categories or the other. Now, when you're tired, there are a lot of ways that it begins to show. Some are very overt, and some are not so much so.

One way that is obvious enough if you are looking (but which one might well overlook) is in the way the eyes begin to suffer. They get red and may water. They can be puffy (particularly if one is tired and has conjunctivitis), and then there are those bags underneath the eyes. By this point I have those about all the time. I hear that one can ameliorate that with things like cucumber slices and Preparation H. I'm at least prepared to try the cucumber.

People can see those things, but nobody can feel how your eyes feel but you. They get heavy, of course. People will see them droop, but they can't feel the weight. I wish you could put the lids on a scale, but to my knowledge they make no such measuring device. Apart from getting heavy, they burn. I suppose that accounts for the redness. It's also worth noting that whatever issues one has with contact lenses, they get worse when you're tired. I wear contacts.

As the day wears on (and while there yet remains stuff to be done), you can grit your teeth over the discomfort, but there is nothing to be done about the looks of the eyes of decent people. I think very little of those who wear sunglasses at night or indoors, and what is there that you can do to hide the ill effects on the eye of fatigue? You may as well let people know anyway. They'll know you're not pretty, but maybe they'll go easy on you. That's always to be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?