Saturday, July 21, 2012

Climbing The Ladder

One of the things that motivates the neighbors' dog Gretta to attain a high level of energy is a foe. She hates the squirrels in the park, or she loves them. Either way, the feelings are strong enough that she wants very badly to get close to one, and I must report that my attempts to defuse the situation by relating a story about how I've heard that Germans cannot pronounce the English word 'squirrel' are invariably unsuccessful.

Her efforts are futile, of course. If she ever comes across a squirrel whose first instinct is not to ascend a tree, she will be fully ready to take advantage of the situation, however I cannot imagine that this is terribly likely, and if it is then the squirrel will probably be visibly diseased. I will then be forced to step in and be the bad guy who denies Gretta her long-awaited shot at a squirrel. I do not relish the idea of getting between her and her prey.

It's inspiring, at the same time. Dogs have the blessing of forgetting all their failures. Gretta never begins the task of chasing a squirrel into a tree burdened with the memory of every time to that point when she has failed to gain purchase with her paws as she begins the climb. Each time she is not merely hopeful, but in fact grimly certain of her success in catching up to the squirrel and hastening its demise.

I allow her the attempt since I know it won't work, but to say that I humor her is not precisely correct. I tend to rub her nose in the failure and the folly of her unshaken belief in her ability to complete the mission. Perhaps she pursues the quarry so eagerly because the capturing of the squirrel is now not as much the object as proving me wrong. I never have seen myself as a very good teacher, but it pleases me to think that I have proved such an inspiring figure in adulthood.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

That dog is a hoot! She certainly likes what she likes! There's nothing like a happy, well cared for pet!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?