Friday, July 20, 2012

Doing Work

Yesterday I renewed the story of walking the neighbors' dog Gretta, and there is a deep well of stories and thoughts for which that experience is a catalyst. I spoke yesterday of motivating and cajoling her into walking, and that can be a real workout. It's worth noting that I do not exercise in any conventional sense, and so practical activities such as walking to the store or running to catch the bus are essential to my health.

Thank goodness then that I have the opportunity to walk Gretta, because even if she and I were of the same mind about when to go and when to stop, I'd still have that time walking. We are not of the same mind, however. She brings to mind a work acquaintance from summer camp who was none too eager to be outdoors or to exert himself. On a walk along the rim of the Grand Canyon, we would always be running ahead to render the next bench unusable, so as to keep him moving.

Gretta is like that. I wish I could burn every tree and bush along the way, because she finds them all so terribly fascinating that the walk becomes nearly as sedentary as if I sat her down to watch television, and not nearly as stimulating for someone like me who hasn't got a very sensitive olfactory organ like she has. You wouldn't think either that each patch of grass and tree would remain interesting time after time, but I have yet to see her get her fill of any.

The workout comes, of course, when I have to yank her along to expedite the process. Of course, when I say yank, I exaggerate. Employing a little physical pressure gives her the idea, and she moves along. If I tried to physically move her with my brawn, I would very likely wind up in the hospital with a separated shoulder, and Gretta would be left wandering the neighborhood until she got hungry, at which time she'd get home just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?