Monday, July 2, 2012

A Hero Of Whole Cloth

I have to be thankful for my friend Marcus, who bestowed upon me the true, unheralded workhorse of my wardrobe. It's a gray suit that I don't think I ever anticipated getting a lot of use. I suppose that at that time I didn't think so much of my chances for advancing any in society. I was sort of an Eliza Doolittle who stumbled upon a dress that served as an inanimate Henry Higgins. I'll stress though that we're talking about a suit- a grey suit.

The pants are needed on a relatively infrequent basis, but that jacket goes with so much. It's not an obviously neutral color, but it goes with everything just as black or white does. That's my opinion. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't have been able to tie together the bunch of almost-suitable shirts, pairs of pants and accessories. It performs miracles as far as I am concerned, and it had better: outside of that, I have only my funeral/wedding suit.

The jacket has been my entry into any number of social events for which I must stand on my toes to be of high enough status for, if you take my meaning. I am on this day in debt to it for making me presentable for a tremendous dance production. Had I remained in t-shirt and jeans, I would have been condemned to a quiet night at home, and while I would have been happy to get some more of my reading done, it would have been a pale substitute in the conversations that inevitably follow such a social engagement.

Perhaps I ought to insure the suit, or get a bunch more like it. I can hardly do without it. I'm in a more enviable position socially than I would have previously guessed, but I think it's precarious. In the absence of the jacket, I could easily backslide severely, and I'm not about to let that happen. I've just got to hold the line, because amazing things are bound to happen in that case (and just think what could come to pass if I improve on where I am)!

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?