Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Look Inside

Writing for this blog is harder than it used to be. It's hard to believe that I started it as far back as 2009, but there it is. At that time, I had considerably less going on in life, and relatively few people to do that stuff with. I was not trying to write anything but this, and in fact had few outlets for creativity. Now I work on short items for Twitter as well as comedy sketches and the odd song (although I cannot write the music for those, of course).

As a consequence, this blog has changed in some ways. Titles which previously were wordy and heavily dependent on wordplay and referential humor now are terribly austere and basic. That's not bad, I suppose. I would like to think that I have it in me to achieve plenty in few words when I put my mind to it, and I appreciate deadpan humor that is short on words but long on commitment enough that I strive to improve at it.

The substance of the posts I write here has changed plenty too. I previously had the time and energy to distill my ideas until I wasn't in them anymore- to hone them until there was something timeless and universal. I don't want to claim with this any more than with the thing about the titles that I'm spinning gold here, but I know that what I was doing was more processed than what I am doing. What I'm doing now depends more on first instincts and personal experiences.

I don't suppose that I am any closer to a blog that has a chance of succeeding on its own merits. It's far more likely that I will become a star by means of some other endeavor, and people will then start reading this because I am me, not because it is great, although by then it might be. I still entertain fantasies that I will focus on a specific thing and connect with the people who love it, and so I soldier on. We are no longer in the season of spring which gives rise to new hopes, but I always cling to that slender reed.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

You are awesome! Your growth is evident in all of your endeavors!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?