Thursday, July 19, 2012

Push & Pull

You may recall from last month (although I doubt it) that I have been occasionally walking the neighbors' dog when they are away for too long. I then characterized my role as being the fun uncle who swoops in briefly to spoil his young charges before restoring them to the responsible parents. I also outlined my selfish interest in using the dog, called Gretta, as bait in a lady trap. That was the extent of my thinking at the time, more or less.

There's so much more, though! Rest assured, you will hear it all before I am through. Something that occurs to me today is a condition which once saved my family's old dog Jack from having to go on regular hikes: laziness. Actually, as we obtained no professional diagnosis I can't say there was nothing wrong with him beyond attitude, but the result was the same: he showed little natural enthusiasm for walking the trail after an initial period of novelty, and could not be induced by any method to move easily.

The story is occasionally the same with Gretta, who does not lack energy or the will to apply it towards a worthy goal, but who also does withhold that energy (or misdirect it) when no such goal presents itself. Taking her down to the street in the elevator, I will be alarmed sometimes to see that she has opted to lay down immediately, auguring poorly for the level of her vigor when we get out there. I then resolve to boost her energy somehow.

With her being so strong, I really have to get her interested in the process, because I'm not personally strong enough to move her, and anyway what then would be the purpose of a walk? There's unquestionably value in her getting some fresh air, but if her legs don't do anything, then I might as well just open a window and then leave. Of course then I would be denied the walk, and I don't intend to punish myself on her account.

3 comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?