Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tout De Suite, Too Sweet

I bought some cheap generic Pop Tarts recently. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I regret it anyway. I usually have a big mug of coffee in the morning, and I'll put either four or five sugar cubes in there. Consequently, it's rather sweet. I may start using fewer cubes, now that I think about it, which may help out. As it is, though, I can't bear to eat something sweet like the Pop Tarts (which I may as well call them instead of the proper term).

Every now and then, I'll cheap out and buy them anyway instead of the hash browns I prefer. The result is not pleasant. I wind up nauseated well into the afternoon, or whenever I manage to cleanse the palate by eating lunch. Probably I'm setting myself up for terrible health problems down the line, but even I am sensible enough not to do this too often. It's just now and then that I make the bad decision (or worse decision, considering that hash browns are none to healthful anyway).

Maybe the thing to do would be to ensure that I have something sweet and something savory in either case. I'd have to give up coffee on those days, which I am capable of doing. When I have breakfast out, I like to get something else anyway, since I don't keep anything else at home usually. I like to have orange juice, but that would be no good. I like tomato juice also, although it has to be the right one. I could do that, though. It could be a nice change of pace.

I could also try to make do with what I have. I do have my Mexican hot sauce. I wonder if it could convincingly cover up the sickeningly sweet Pop Tarts if I pile enough on there. I'd have the arguably worse problem of all the spicy hot sauce in my system, but it's hard to say whether that would represent the lesser of two evils or not. A final possibility suggests itself after I remember what Bill Cosby said: you can eat anything if you just put it between two slices of bread. I have the bread. Maybe there's my way of dealing with this sweet breakfast conundrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?