Friday, August 24, 2012

How Fast I Loathe

We humans are judgmental beings. With just a glimpse, we condemn someone as a truly lowly example of the species, or we exalt them as very nearly an angel. This is as true of me as it is of anyone, but I do know it and admit it. Where the opportunity exists, I'd like to think that I allow for the possibility that my mind could be changed, although how often that happens I can't say. I must admit that it may be rather seldom.

I actually think that it may not be so sudden that I get to liking someone. I become infatuated fast enough, but a real liking takes longer. It may go at the speed that they reveal themselves. I ought to always wait before I start creating connections between myself in the person, but I can't clearly distinguish between the infatuations and the rest. I wind up with a lot of friends on social networking websites that I ultimately decide I don't really like, but who I have nothing against.

Hate happens fast. It takes no more than a few minutes, I would say. By then, I am dead set against liking the person. The symptoms as I understand them are subtle, but recognizable. I get fairly quiet when engaged in conversation with someone who I've decided I hate, and I tend to allow third parties to do most of the talking. If directly pressed to say something, I'll keep it short. It may be something diplomatic, or it may carry the faint whiff of dislike.

I ought to be more open about my feelings in such cases. Something unfortunate about the way I react to disliking someone is that they don't reliable get the message in all cases. They may even get the idea that there is a mutual appreciation going on, and that I am merely a quiet person by nature. You ought to be aware that if I like you, I am boorishly, obnoxiously loud and talkative. If I'm quiet, I'm either uncertain or I don't like you. The prospect of that may not strike fear in your heart, but that's how it is.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Awesome recognition!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?