Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Let's Hope Not

I was idly thinking about life in prison the other day. It had come about when I remembered a recent news story in which inmates were fed meat not graded for human consumption. It occurred to me that worse things might happen to someone in such a place, and off I went on a contemplative tear. I wondered just how I would get along in prison. I can't do more than speculate, given that my knowledge of the place is based on what I assume to be largely inaccurate depictions in media.

People talk of unspeakable things that happen to the men in prison, but I don't know about that. There must be some truth in it, but such things are inevitably exaggerated for the sake of sensationalism. In any case, I doubt whether I would be able to get by on strength or brutality. I think it's also unlikely that I would be able to get along on my wits and general likability, as we've seen in prison films such as "The Shawshank Redemption".

On the other hand, maybe I could make something of my intelligence there. Maybe if I kept my more caustic humor to myself, I could win some minimal amount of support from fellow inmates. I wouldn't expect to be the most popular, but maybe I could at least be left alone to read. I could study up on the law, as I understand there's quite a call for prison lawyers. I don't see that as entirely likely, though. I just can't contain myself with that humor.

I am painting myself into a corner, I think. In the absence of any ability to repay viciousness with viciousness or to win over the vicious element with my wits, I would be hard-pressed to survive at all, and I'm sure I would have no aptitude for escape. It sounds rather bleak in the face of all that, contributing to a general impression of prison that makes it sound awfully undesirable. I think that I had better try and not get in there if I can help it.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Yes, it's hard for us to know the reality of what it is like on the inside. With such high recidivism rates, who knows? It may be like cemeteries, people are dying to get in.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?