Thursday, August 23, 2012

Managing To Roll In Style

Yesterday I wrote of the cowardly closure of the local grocery store. The man who called himself manager and told me about it was a striking fellow. He seemed to see me as hostile, which was true enough, although I wasn't and am not the type to get terribly forceful in my belligerence. I suppose he couldn't have known that, especially considering my appearance. Anyway, he made an impression on me.

He was just leaving when I approached, and what I noticed most was that he seemed to be leaving in the company of a posse. In truth, it was a bevy of women. I don't say they were all tremendously attractive, but in my state of mind at the time I was not really picking up a ton of details. There just were several women about him as he headed out, and it brought to mind the image of men who are successful enough with women to stay until a bar closes and leave with all the barmaids.

I wondered at the idea of the whole thing. I'm not one to admiringly describe someone as a pimp, but this guy seemed to have whatever essence leads people to do so. Just what could he have going for himself to make what I saw happen? He can't be that affluent, being a night manager at a grocery store. He can't be that charismatic or smart, being a night manager at a grocery store. What on Earth could it be?

They say that in such matters, the simplest explanation is the most likely to be correct. In this case, the most likely explanation for why this unassuming manager had an entourage to rival that of Dolemite is that I was mistaken about that being the case. I don't know that I was mistaken, but the easiest way to live with the inordinate degree of success with women that the manager seemed to have is that I was wrong. I must have been wrong.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

The women probably walk with him for safety reasons. Could be store policy to avoid law suits.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?