Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Bus Stops Here

There are some things that I don't think of, and then something finally brings it to my attention. I wind up feeling stupid, but when I get over that there's a stimulating thing to think about. It's very rewarding. Anyway, there was one of those incidents when I was walking back to my building, and noticed a school bus stopped out front. A gaggle of children got off and went inside. Of course, I was aware that kids lived in the building, but that's all I was aware of.

The first thing I did was to look at my watch. It was about four in the afternoon, so I decided that this checked out. It adds up that the kids might get out some time before three, and that therefore the bus would leave the school a bit after that and deposit the kids there when I saw them arrive. No, there was no issue with the timing whatsoever. There never was, though. Why should the timing of school letting out or the arrangements for transportation change?

I just never thought about the buses at all. Somehow I don't seem to see them too often. I see the schools on a regular enough basis, but I don't think about any of that stuff, despite it all being in my immediate vicinity. It didn't occur to me what the school bus routes might be, or where they might pick up and let out. If I had given it any thought, I would have thought that the bus stop would be someplace else, and not in front of somebody's own building like that (though I should have thought that).

I did vaguely know that it was school season, although the opening and closing of it is not very relevant to my life anymore. I did notice that the schools I regularly pass by were the site of noisy playing again. I just neglected the buses, and while there may be no consequences in that, it's something. There may be nothing in the thoughts that may proceed from the awareness that a school bus stop is in front of my building, but it's a fact.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

Interestingly enough, my life revolves around children and when they and teachers are in session. My life is much calmer when both student and teacher are on holiday.

Frenchie said...

Well, it's nice to know the buses drop the kids off in a safe place...not on some corner where they have to navigate home. Right?

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?