Monday, September 10, 2012

Other People Do It

Something that occasionally occurs to me is that other people periodically get haircuts. It's not something that I always have in my mind. It comes to me now and then, but mostly is mostly not there. I obviously do not get haircuts. My last one was in December of 2009, I believe. Since I don't get haircuts, and since I am not invited along when my friends get them, I'm not aware of them generally. Maybe that's not so remarkable. I mustn't be alone in that.

I do notice when someone I see often gets a dramatic haircut. That doesn't happen much. I notice when my roommate trims his own hair, because I see the trimmings in the wastebasket. I think about it when someone makes reference to the experience of having had a haircut, but it seems to not be something that people talk about openly so much (unlike politics and religion, which were once more private matters for the very reason that they made trouble to discuss).

I can't imagine my schedule with haircuts back in it. It's not so much that I couldn't find an hour or half an hour every few weeks to get a haircut. I just couldn't bear to do it that often, and it would be weird anyway to have that be a reference point in time once again. How odd it would feel to have short hair and a scalp cooled by air, only to feel it grow longer and shaggier day by day over the course of a month. How odd it would be to visit the hair salon again.

I don't miss it, and I think I've made that clear before. I don't know that I'd like for others to forgo haircuts, though. I want them to have them, but for me to not. At the same time, I'd like it if I could relate better to this fairly basic and universal human experience. I don't know how that would work. I guess it's something I'll have to do without so long as I'm committed to these curls of mine. I have so far, so I doubt it'll be very traumatic.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

I get them frequently enough for us both.

Beverly said...

I get them frequently enough for us both.

Frenchie said...

I imagine your hair is quite long when not curled up.
At this point, your hair is signature!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?