Monday, September 17, 2012

Where, Oh Where?

I grew up in and around Phoenix, Arizona. Perhaps that's not something I ought to be trumpeting, and indeed I make very little of it these days. It was not the place for me to be, and initially I only thought not because of the work I hoped to do. It's evident now that where I am suits me somewhat better. Many people that I know dislike LA or even hate it, and live here only because they have to. I like it here. Even if the entertainment business wasn't my thing, I'd like it here anyway.

I wonder though how I might fare in other places. As long as I can remember, I've been interested in experiencing New York City. I wonder how I would like that, and whether it might foster in me productivity or happiness any better than LA. A city that loves public transportation does sound up my alley, and in my romantic imagination, I see myself strolling its streets both upscale and downtrodden. At the very least I'd like to spend a little time there. I have roots too deep here.

It might be rather interesting to live oversees. I might like England, which is in my blood. I don't regard myself as an Anglophile, and in fact I have been annoyed often by those who have taken to their ways with too much gusto. I'm neither jingoistic or bellicose by nature, but we didn't win several wars to not have our culture trump theirs. France might be nice, as they make up the other half of my family (if indirectly). I feel a certain affinity for our great expatriate artists, and would be beside myself to follow in their footsteps.

In truth, I'm a homebody. It was a hell of a move to come out to LA from Phoenix, which is no oddysey of a trip. It's a pretty easy trip back anytime I care to make it. I think where I am is where I am to be. It would please me for the place to grow into being everything that I think I might have in those other places, and much more so than it would please me to bail on LA for those places that already have it. It feels good to have a hand in making something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?