Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Word To Regret

The library is nearly as fruitful a well of material on which to draw on for this blog as the buses and trains of this city. Mostly the incidents that happen in the library are either pleasant or harmless, but they certainly aren't always in the vein of a snack vendor getting shooed outside. They are something rather unpleasant, and the other day there was something which I found to be rather unsettling. I'm not sure what happened.

I was on the way to watch movies with some friends. On the way, I had to drop off dvds at the library. I resolved to go inside and see if there was anything I'd like to check out this time around, and sure enough I located a movie. While I was looking, I noticed a rather attractive woman also scanning the shelves. I didn't let my gaze linger. I didn't have the time in any case, but who wants to come off like a creep?

I heard a voice off to her left. She herself was to my left, I should say. The voice said something terrible. One very unfortunate word you might say to a lady was what it was. The woman looked in that direction, as did I. She might have seen the source of the utterance, but I did not. As the matter seemed to progress no further, I went back to my business. I wondered whether I might have done something, but there seemed nothing to be done.

It seems like women have a hell of a time in so many ways. There are to be dealt with impractical clothes, economic imbalance, matters biological and so much more. I can't imagine what it's like to contend with somebody who'd say a thing like that, if in fact the state of affairs was what it seemed to be. I suppose I've heard unkind words aimed at me, although I could afford to be amused and laugh them off. I sure hope we can cool it with all this abuse.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

The only excuse for something like that is Tourette's Syndrome! So wrong for human beings to be so treated. Or mistreated!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?