Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For The Trash

I get plenty of items in the mail from college. I went to two colleges, or I suppose I ought to say technically three. I got degrees from two (which would be an associates' and a bachelors' ), and took two summer classes at a third. I think I'm remembering this right. In any case, what is relevant is that I have gotten very little in the mail from the two junior colleges. I don't know what is the reason for their lack of interest in my post-college life, but I appreciate it.

That third school would be the one from which I got my four-year degree. I want to stress that I got a fine education. I have no complaints about that. If I did, they would have more to do with me than with the institutions in question. I had excellent opportunities to learn where I went, but I am not entirely pleased with what I get in the mail from that third school. They're always wanting things from me. Before my loans are paid, they want donations, and more besides that.

I am frankly not so interested in giving to my college, whether it's money or time or effort. Perhaps this is because I have not yet seen the sort of return on the investment that I would have liked. I'm not after the money paid or yet to be paid, but I'm not into tacking on anything extra just yet. This is especially so if it is not even something worthwhile that they want from me. I don't know what this constant demand for updating of records is for. I cannot imagine there is much demand for information on me from fellow students who might consult a directory.

I throw all that stuff out. That's obvious, isn't it? I'm sure you aren't aghast at that. It's what everyone does, I think. Only if you get to some great level of success but still feel empty inside do you start trying to create a legacy back at college with some endowment, and I don't know when you start getting interested in making sure people can reach you. Either you made an impression back then, or your reputation draws people to you now. At any rate, I don't try to contact my school, and I dissuade them from trying to reach me.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?