Friday, October 5, 2012

Garter Fever: Catch It!

I have mentioned being out of town, and if I didn't say so, it was for a wedding. I like a traditional wedding, and this one included many conventional touches. One was the tossing of the bouquet. Another, which I think is sometimes dispensed with, is the tossing of the garter to the single men. This wedding had both. There was the usual good-natured jostling for the bouquet by the large compliment of single women, and then there was the garter.

There were not so many single men at this wedding, for whatever reason. I suppose that I ought to be glad for that. There might have been half or a third as many. Coming from out of town, I could have no designs on the single women at this wedding (although some would say this gave me ample reason to make attempts), but the dearth of single men helped me out in another respect: that of the garter-catching. I do hope to be married some day, although it's already a little late in the day today and tomorrow I already have plans.

I dutifully took my place when the tossing of the garter was announced. For a while, there was just me and another guy. A handful of others ultimately were cajoled into joining in. The groom, my friend, procured the garter and got into place himself. His back was turned to us to remove the appearance of favoritism. I don't know if it removed the favoritism itself though, for he tossed the garter over his shoulder and strait to yours truly.

I was not as gracious a victor as I might have been. I held the garter aloft and hopped up and down vigorously. I then proceed to spike the garter as though it were a touchdown-scoring football which I'd caught. I certainly hope this was an endearing lack of good sportsmanship that I showed, and not a boorish, alienating one. Well, there's nothing to be done about it now in any case, and I can undoubtedly expect to soon be married somehow.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

That was such a lot of fun!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?