Sunday, October 21, 2012

Two Timing

The other night, I was at a pair of parties. Each had some merit to it, but neither so much as to render the other entirely unappealing. Together they seem worth some report, although that sort of social account is one I don't do much now that such parties are relatively common for me. In any case, the first one that I committed to was conceived by my roommate, and its central purpose was to make jack-o-lanterns.

I was looking forward to making jack-o-lanterns, and readily committed to the party. That seemed reasonable, as I didn't imagine getting invited to another and this one was being held in my own home. I could hardly help but attend, I thought. This was before discussions with another acquaintance developed into an invitation to attend her birthday dinner. The idea held considerable appeal.

I was anguished at this point, as I felt that I must disappoint someone. It ultimately worked out that no one seemed upset by me dividing my time between the two parties. Further discontent arose though, as the lady's party was made into a Halloween costume party at virtually the eleventh hour. After an ill-fated effort to come up with an original costume, I fell back on one which had been used previously. It proved adequate.

After tearing myself away from the costume/birthday party just as it began really cooking (and this after I'd arrived at a painfully punctual hour), I made my way back for the second party, and this proved quite enjoyable. I talked with established friends after having just met a whole lot of new people, and carved up my own jack-o-lantern. I decided on a pumpkin with X's for eyes, and executed it in crude fashion.

The party came to a close at a very reasonable hour without any real messes happening, and those are the only two really critical goals for a party held in one's home (apart from the police or landlord not appearing). After the last guests filed out, I ate some soup and went to bed. It had been a full, rich day, and I slept fairly well. I resolved that the next day need not be so exciting. A person has got to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?