Monday, October 1, 2012

When It Was A Game

It has been a while since I played video games much. A number of years ago, I sold my Xbox 360 on Craiglist because I realized that it had been collecting dust and I figured that I could use the money. It was a kind of sad moment when they guy came around to pick it up, but it wasn't so sad when he paid me the money in cash. Of course, that occasion didn't entirely end my interest in video games. I still like the older, simpler stuff.

I enjoy the old games they had for the original Nintendo and Genesis. I could play some of those for hours, particularly back then when there were few alternatives. I shudder to think of how many hours I spend in vain trying to progress in "Tom & Jerry" or in "The Goonies 2". The latter game had me convinced that a sequel had been made to the movie, but it was alas only in video game form. I surely did have an interest in games at the time.

Recently, I found my old Nintendo 64 system back at my parents' house. Of course, I could not leave it there. I found room in my luggage, and decided that I would find some time to play it once again. It's a little the worse for were, particularly where the accessories are concerned, but it plays all right. I wish I knew where a lot of the games went to. Probably they are in boxes that I did not managed to locate on my most recent trip home.

I do hope that I am able to make use of the thing, and that I did not merely lug it around to LA purely out of sentimentality. On the other hand, I hope it doesn't suck up more of my time than I can spare, and I can spare little. I just would like to acquire a few more games and have a little of the fun that I did back then when video games were still mainly uncool and were of no help in connecting you to the outside world. That's the world of gaming that I remember.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Blast from the past!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?