Thursday, November 22, 2012

Food And Fondness

Today being Thanksgiving, it seemed as if it would be novel if I addressed the occasion rather than writing about something else as I usually do in such cases. There's a lot of ground to cover for a holiday that is now almost entirely overlooked in favor of the more commercial Christmas. That's enough to be the subject of a post all by itself, but who wants to get angry on a day with so much food? It's bad for the digestion.

The food really does warrant a comment. For our family, Thanksgiving kicks off with a lot of finger foods. We commonly have cheese and crackers, olives and various libations. These carry us through the first football games, but one must be careful not to eat too much of them. It is beyond an unpleasantness to get full early in the early going of dinner. One must not eat too little either, though. I think fasting does little good if one hopes to eat the maximum.

Those football games really are a pleasure for me. I never have had a complaint about any of the teams who regularly play in them being bad. For me it was a tradition within a tradition that the Dallas Cowboys stomped their opponent while the Detroit Lions were decimated by theirs. Of course, traditions garner little respect these days, and so the two teams' positions have been somewhat reversed, and a third game has been added besides.

This is one year where I will not struggle to think of things to be thankful for. Most years I have not managed to think of anything. One year I recall being thankful for term limits in elective office. I believe that was one of the years I was very political. This year though, I have more meaningful thanks that concern personal achievements and the people who have made them possible. That in itself is worth thanks, but perhaps I'll save that for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?