Sunday, November 4, 2012

No More

The Halloween holiday season is, as I have made clear enough over the last week or so, a time of anxiety over having to come up with costumes. That alone is hard enough, let alone all the other times when some people are inclined to come up with a costume and a reason to wear it. It used to be, I think that they had to keep such things to themselves once. I do believe in people getting to live out their lives in the manner that they choose so long as it affects no one else adversely, but there's a limit.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that there was a party the other day where people were asked to dress in costume as a tribute to the birthday boy. I certainly can respect that, as I would myself be honored if anyone decided to do that for me. It hasn't happened yet, but it easily could one day. It's regrettable though that this birthday should fall just when I am in the throes of costume-concocting and wearing fatigue.

I just couldn't even begin to come up with something. I couldn't so much as entertain the idea that I would wear something I had already come up with, let alone try to conceive of something entirely new. There's only so much that can be asked of me, and as you'll recall, I had by this point had to wear a costume some four or five times already, if the emotions roiling within me do not lead me to exaggerate any.

I would recommend that people give up on the idea of costumes outside of the Halloween season, or at least outside of Halloween but within that timeframe in which the memories and traumas of it are still fresh. I appreciate the whole thing, but it's a lot easier to bear when it's characters going through a lot of effort on a television show. It's something else when it's me who has to do it, not an actor who has to wear something put together by professional costumers.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Acknowledged! You reached your saturation point! Just say no!!!! Or give it some thought! You may come up with your best idea yet!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?