Friday, December 7, 2012

Stop Me If You've Heard This

Recently I had the pleasure of visiting a friend in his 14th-floor apartment downtown. The interior of the place was nice and the building had some charming qualities to it, but clearly the most striking feature was its balcony. Stepping outside, one could see a considerable portion of the most appealing sights in LA's center. Bright lights and classic architecture were amply in evidence, as were people in nearby windows.

None of these things are present in my own balcony, or at least few. We are merely in a third-floor apartment, and while we avoid the worse fate of those below us by virtue of being on top, we still are not high enough to see much, not that there is much to be seen. There are no buildings within our direct line of sight to offer illicit views, and there are no buildings worthy of being looked at for their aesthetic merits.

The construction of the balcony makes it less than appealing for other reasons. It is too small for recreation or use as an eating venue, and its high walls render it unusable as a vantage point unless one stands. With chairs, you are intolerably confined. Its solitary use is for the creation of artwork whose materials would be too poisonous to use indoors without considerable equipment for ventilation.

Still, I get out there every once in a while. Visitors enjoy it well enough, or at least those who do not have anything even that good themselves at home do, presumably. I also occasional find it useful to momentarily step out there to check the weather for myself when I doubt the word of the authorities, which I admit is often enough. I don't plan on moving anytime soon, but a better balcony would be on my list of desired amenities if I ever do.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

There is something magical about a balcony. I have never had one but I think it would be enjoyable to sit outside to chat or eat or read the paper. I enjoy sitting on the aft deck and think there are certain corralaries between the balcony and the boat deck experience.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?