Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Can't Spell Hate Without Hat

While I was in Las Vegas over the weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday, I made some effort to look presentable. It was not as much as I might have liked or as much as I have at my best, but I made a decent effort. I brought a decent shirt and a suit jacket, hoping that I would be able to pair it well with nice jeans and passable shoes. I also had what I would call my nicest coat, as Las Vegas was very cold. Things worked out better than I might have guessed.

Another friend along for the trip made a contribution. While at the shared home of him and the birthday boy, I was witness to him getting ready. At one point, he emerged from his bedroom with a handful of hats. I'm always game to make a bold, temporary fashion choice, and so I didn't think twice about accepting when he declared that he and I would both be wearing berets. I've been derisive of them in the past, but I'm not afraid of them.

I never guessed how well it would all work together. The hat looked like it was sold with the coat, and garnered some amount of praise. I had been fearful of looking like one of the many types of people who I disdain, but I wore it non-stop, so fond was I of the effect. Apart from looking not too bad, it also had the effect of concealing the inevitable effects of spending a night away from the methods of caring for my hair that are confined to my home.

When my benefactor left Las Vegas a bit before I did, I dolefully offered it back to him. He was kind enough to let me hang on to it. I will certainly wear it again, although I must be careful to pick the right times, so as not to become a "beret guy", and moreover to not minimize or misuse its powers. No, it must be the potent arrow in my quiver that is seen seldom but long remembered. I will look forward to firing it again.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?