Monday, January 21, 2013

Crushed

I remain no more able to persuade people to take my point of view than I have ever been. I don't know how that is the case. I wish I would have taken speech and debate in school. I do Toastmasters, but there's no debate in that, and I have never been any good at debating. My most strenuous arguments are no more effective than tires spinning in gravel, and my best hope is that someone more adept takes up my cause. Given the uniqueness of my thinking, that is rare.

While watching football with friends, a commercial came on extolling the virtues of Subway's breakfast menu. Incredulously, and not for the first time, I wondered aloud who could possibly wish to eat breakfast at a sub sandwich restaurant. In a matter of seconds, I found that the entirety of the room, amounting to five people, stood shoulder to shoulder against my way of thinking. They were all entirely glad to eat the breakfast food there.

I really was surprised, given that among the five were people quite concerned with eating well and healthily. How is it that such people would go for Subway breakfast sandwiches? I was awfully surprised. Of course, my reasoning had little to do with health. I just thought, "Here is a restaurant whose specialty is sub sandwiches. It's a fine place to eat lunch, a passible place to eat dinner, and not a place where anyone would seek out breakfast. It turns out I am entirely, hopelessly alone.

I was, as always, very ill equipped to express my arguments or address their counter-arguments. Somehow my assertion that Subway was not a breakfast place was taken as an imperious directive that no one was allowed to eat breakfast there, and my declaration that I personally eat breakfast at home generally was seen as a complete invalidation of my standing to make any arguments on the matter at all. It was a total defeat, and I despair that I will never improve beyond such ignominy.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Well, for a young man such as you, brought up vegetarian, I can see how this occurred. Most Americans have very few boundaries when it comes to their choice in meals. Fat, carbs., sugar and sodium not to mention other preservatives, are not taken into account.
Bravo for you pointing that out!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?