Sunday, January 27, 2013

Great Fun For Everyone

Yesterday I got to a rather interesting movie. It was the infamous "The Room"- a film that I have been hearing about for several years. It was a little irritating to hear lines quoted and references made without any direct knowledge of the film itself, but I could tell what fun it must be. I never did take action to see the movie, even recently when I knew screenings were happening monthly just up the street. Well, I've finally done it.

To briefly explain the movie, I'll say that it concerns a love triangle between the film's auteur, an all right looking lady and another guy. The first in that triangle, Tommy Wiseau, is tough to look at. Most of the action takes place in his character's apartment, presumably making the title so apropos. The film is pretty awful, violating any number of filmmaking fundamentals and common sense rules. It's definitely so bad that it's good.

This seemed to be the right time, as there was a groundswell of interest from various quarters of my friends. When nearly everyone is going, that is the time for me to go. It's no fun alone, I suppose. I resolved early on that I would go, but was thwarted a number of times by a faulty ticketing system. I never despaired, having ascertained that there was no real risk of tickets running out. Sure enough, I got my ticket a day in advance.

Some activities preceded the late night screening. A friend and I went and got hot dogs, returning home to eat and chat. We then visited with others planning to attend the movie, and watched a pole dancing show with them. By this time, we were getting into the proper state of mind for the movie, and the rest of our friends planning to go to the movie turned up. After a fair amount of joyous reunion, we headed out.

The movie was a more vibrant, less calcified version of what I'd experienced going to "Rocky Horror Picture Show". A guy who seems to be a caretaker of sorts for the movie introduced it and fielded questions, then we got down to it. The film was evidently being played off a Blu-Ray, and it skipped a bit. What would such a movie be without such malfunctions? Mainly the experience was fully satisfactory.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?