Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Day Of Days

Yesterday I wrote about my impending birthday and the feelings I had and typically have leading up to that. Generally it's negative feelings that I have to keep at bay, and the only way to do it is to be with friends and to stay busy. The fact that I have such a hard time getting it together makes that a very uncertain proposition. As I write this though, I can confirm that the occasion was about as pleasant as it is possible for it to be.

The day of course started without a plan. I had vaguely gotten the idea of going out for dinner to a fairly popular Mexican restaurant where I could eat for free and which my friends generally like well. That started to gain momentum, and I further thought that something else ought to be added at a bare minimum, and I figured that the thing to do would be to add a trip to a bar. Well, there's only a couple I like going to, so I picked one.

My food was not the best, and perhaps the lesson is to not order enchiladas with mole sauce again. The overall experience there was great though, as some wonderful friends (including ones I see too seldom and ones I hope I see more of after meeting them recently) came out and subjected me to the usual traditions reserved for the birthday boy. Is it really a birthday if there is no picture of you being serenaded while wearing an absurdly large sombrero?

The bar later was good as well, since other friends who had been unable to come earlier appeared to fill the gaps in the ranks left by those who couldn't stay later. I stayed out as late and celebrated as hard as I could manage, and I hope it was enough for the occasion. I can say that while I frequently struggle to have an appreciation of myself, this was one day where I was convinced of being a pretty cool guy, and I hope to feel it more this year than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?