Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Something More On Diet

The other day, I did something that I was rather proud of. I knew that I didn't want to buy the same junk food that I so commonly do. For months, I have eaten the same canned ravioli, cup o'noodle soup and hash browns for virtually every meal at home. Really, eating out at burger places may well have represented a more nutritious meal. Well, I got the idea that reaching my thirties made this diet not so charming anymore.

Will is not always matched by ability. A number of times I had the same intention of buying more healthful food, and each time I faltered and fell back on the same easy choices. I felt lousy about it, and wished I could find the fortitude to follow through on my intentions. It was elusive, and I thought with despair that I might never manage to really eat well on my own. I had nothing to sustain me but hope that I might change.

Finally I found the will. I suppose it was not as hard as I make it out to be, but there was a further hitch. I found it in myself to buy the right things, but did not know what they were. I had a few vague ideas, but was not confident of them. I sought advice from others, but heard nothing back. Finally I resolved to go with what little I knew, and so I bought the things that I thought were healthful. They had to be more so than what I'd been doing.

I bought spaghetti, baked potatoes, peas, corn, peanuts and bananas. I'm sure I heard at some point or another that all these things were good to eat. Maybe I haven't come up with just the right things in terms of nutrition or my personal ability to sustain the habit, but I have at the very least begun what might be an enduring trend. I'm at least trying, and it feels better than trying to try eating well and failing at it.

1 comment:

Frenchie said...

Not bad! You've put forth a good effort!

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?