Monday, February 18, 2013

Doors

I was thinking the other day about the major security issue with my apartment building, which is that those who do not have their own key regularly get in very easily by means of hanging around until someone with a key opens the door and allows them in. I myself have been guilty of this. What is one to do. Warn the person to stay back as you shut the door in their face? The situation just cannot conclude in that fashion without awkwardness.

Just what is one to do? Well, I have come of with a sort of an idea, although it cannot be carried out without some considerable expense, and it may be no good anyway. As that would surely be passed on to tenants like myself, I will not press my idea too aggressively, but it could work. I was thinking about the method by which it is ensured that light does not enter a room where it is not welcome. You have a set of two doors far enough apart that the first is shut by the time the second is reached.

I don't know if that itself is enough on its own. I don't think there is enough room to have two doors in a straight line. It might work if there was the main door leading to a snaking corredor which ends at the second door. That way, the legitimate entrant would pass out of sight and no longer face the person they're denying entrance. Of course, the thing that this does not address is that it must be reasonable to assume that the person going in is not aware of the person being kept outside.

Obviously all of this is rather passive-agressive, but it oughtn't be up to the tenants of a building to be aggressive-agressive. Isn't that what the management and the security system are for? I guess it just has to be accepted that the outer door is too compromised to serve adequately as a security measure. That being the case, I need not be bothered when I see it fail, and I can do what I really should do, which is focus on the apartment unit door as the only true security for my home.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Agree

Beverly said...

Agree

Frenchie said...

A third measure added to that is a security camera which would act like it had to take a photo of each entrant which would stagger it enough the door would close before they got the opportunity to enter on your key. If they wouldn't stop for the photo...you would know they were shady and you would know to take the proper precautions.

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?