Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hang Fire

Years ago, when I was going to community college back home, I used to drive a car. It's been now something like seven or eight years since I regularly did so. I did very much like to stop at yard sales if I saw them, although I suppose that's something I can do now when riding my bicycle if not when I am on the bus. In any case, there was one yard sale where I found some very interesting things. I bought one of them, which was a set of spud shooters.

To explain, these are little plastic toy pistols whose barrel one embeds in a raw potato to create an organic pellet which can then be fired at any target without fear of real harm. I was just consumed with thoughts of the possibilities which owning those guns opened up for me, but they ultimately became one more thing I did not ever use, such as the 8 millimeter camera, projector and screen I bought at another yard sale.

I have always kept those pistols, but never used them. That had to have been ten years ago, and I have transported them from one home to another over the years. Never did I entertain the idea of unloading them, and that has happily has had a payoff of sorts. Only just the other day did it occur to me that I had a ten pound sack of potatoes and these guns, and so here at last was an opportunity to really try them out.

Of course I couldn't locate the guns. I looked all around, but couldn't find them any place I could think to look. I reasoned that they would turn up, and after a couple days their resting place came to mind. I giddily fished them out of a paper bag and rushed off to test them. At first I couldn't get the hang of loading them, but once I did I was just like a boy, firing them and laughing hysterically. It was a fine time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you, netizen?